Tuesday, January 3, 2017

NCSS 2017 Day 1

For the third time I am giving up 10 days of my holiday to experience the brilliant professional learning available at NCSS (National Computer Science School). 


I am in a slightly different capacity this time around as I am a Teacher/Tutor. This is a bit strange for me as there are 3 of us and I'm sure we'll be an invaluable resource for our fellow teachers but we're still defining the role so I'm a bit unsure who I am at the moment. 

We've just completed Day 1. It's only a short day so this won't be a very full post but we're all already immersed. 

Run down for the day: 

  • Lunch with early arrivals 
  • Meet the teachers (What a great bunch! I'm excited by how many have been before) 
  • Afternoon Tea and Registration 
  • Official welcome to the program 
  • Lecture 1 
  • Dinner and kick off of murder (I hold the record for the first kill! But was dead before I left the dining room) 
  • Getting to know our groups and team building activity 

Lecture 1 was fairly straightforward - it's always a challenge to excite the experienced kids without alienating the inexperienced ones. The lecturers did a great job of developing rapport.



Special mention to group 6 who rocked the flag pole build and were robbed of our glory by the three teams whose flags were "technically" higher than ours. Points for prettiness and teamwork please!

No comments:

Post a Comment